Cracked heels are a common foot problem and are commonly caused by drying out of the skin due to;
- wearing thongs, (particularly in summer)
- poor circulation, (particularly in winter)
- excessive weight.
For most people this is a nuisance and a cosmetic problem but when the fissures or cracks are deep, they are painful to stand on and the skin can bleed. In severe cases they can become infected, and are more complicated if the skin around the rim of the heel is thick (callus).
The podiatric treatment of cracked heels may involve the following:
- Removing the hard thick skin. Podiatrists are trained and are the only professional allowed to use scapels to remove the callus. This is the best way to remove the hard skin around the cracks. .
- Regular maintenance may be the best way to prevent the problem.
- Advice regarding the most appropriate moisturizer or emollient. eg Eulactol Heel Balm
- Advice about footwear and self care of the problem.
To make an appointment for any of the above conditions, please call us on 55313877 … or send an enquiry e-mail
For more articles on Foot- Conditions, see here